Monday, January 5, 2015

Not a sermon for January 4th, 2015

On Sunday, January 4th we held our Christmas play so I did not have a sermon.  I wanted to post something so I have included my article from our January Newsletter. Come back next week to read the first sermon of 2015

Each Christmas, I have three traditions that are part of my way to express and share the news that the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all. The first is that at every Christmas service where I can control the decision, we sing “I Wonder as I Wander” after the sermon.  This song, written in the poverty and isolation of rural America, tells the story of Christmas with faith and truth.  For me the first few lines “I wonder as I wander, out under the sky, how Jesus the savior was born for to die, for poor ordinary sinners like you and like I” , express the incredible news of Christmas better than any other carol .  

The second tradition for me is to share civil rights leader and theologian Howard Thurman’s poem “The Work of Christmas” in a sermon, newsletter or other communication at some point in the weeks after Christmas. (Here it is in a newsletter)   

When the song of the angels is stilled,
 When the star in the sky is gone, 
 When the kings and princes are home, 
 When the shepherds are back with their flock, 

 The work of Christmas begins: 
 To find the lost, To heal the broken, 
 To feed the hungry, To release the prisoner, 
 To rebuild the nations, To bring peace among brothers, 
 To make music in the heart.

The third tradition is my message on Epiphany, the day when we remember the 3 magi or wise men bringing gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh, symbols of Jesus power, divinity and death. During my time here at St Jacobus, this story has helped me to understand our ministry of sharing space and providing a place for churches to worship. In the story of the 3 kings, the star leads these visitors to the newborn Christ, pointing to the place where Jesus was.  After they arrive,  leave their gifts and Jesus moves with his family, the star disappears, its work is over, it no longer points to Jesus. Today, almost 2000 years later, the church of Christ in the world is the star, we point to Christ. In a world of darkness, sin, violence, pain, greed and suffering, we offer a light of love and hope.  Here, as 600 or 700 people a week gather in our space as part of 5 different churches, to worship God in 5 or 6 languages, our star shines brightly;  as 150 plus families entrust us to teach their young children with faith and care, our star shines brightly;  as we welcome new people, learn from each other and encourage one another in our ministry, our star shines brightly; as we work together to make our community better; our star shines brightly, as we show the world that God's love is for all people, our star shines brightly; as we to proclaim Christ our savior is born at Christmas; our star shines brightly.

It is my hope that the comfort and joy of Christmas continues to fill your hearts, minds and lives with the peace that only God can offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment