Sunday, May 10, 2015

Sermon for May 10



The reading

John 15:9-17
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.  If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.  If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete. "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another

The message

Here at church, we are coming to the end of the Easter Season. For the last 6 weeks we have started our worship with the great proclamations: Christ is Risen: Yes he is Risen, Alleluia and this is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it. For the last 6 weeks we have ended our worship by declaring: Christ is Risen, Yes, he is Risen Indeed.  During this time, we have also shared Easter moments, standing up and talking about the times when we experienced the joy of Easter, when the news that Christ is Risen from the dead, impacted, motivated or caused us joy.  This week, the Easter season officially ends. On Thursday, 40 days after Easter, we mark the Ascension, when Jesus is taken up into heaven. An event reported in the last words of Luke’s Gospel:  

“Then Jesus led his disciples out as far as Bethany, and, lifting up his hands, he blessed them. While he was blessing them, he withdrew from them and was carried up into heaven. And they worshiped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy; and they were continually in the temple blessing God. 

With this, the world of Jesus followers changed completely and forever.  Jesus would no longer be physically in the world, he would no longer appear to them just to sit, eat and talk, he would not be waiting for them when they returned from their missionary work to encourage, correct and strengthen. Jesus would no longer appear into locked rooms to prove he was truly risen from the dead. Jesus followers, guided and touched by the Holy Spirit, would now be responsible for encouraging, strengthening and correcting each other as they shared the good news of what God has done.  Jesus did not really belong in the world, he belonged with God in heaven. Jesus had completed the work for which was born as one of us, taught about God’s presence and love, performed miracles and signs of power, confronted obstacles, called followers, advocated for the welcome of all people, cast out evil, fought for peace, suffered, died and rose again. With this death was defeated, sin no longer had any power over us, nothing could separate us from the saving love of God.  The message was shared, the way of salvation was opened. The power of God was shown, natural laws were briefly violated, the sick were healed, food was multiplied, evil spirits were cast out, storms were stopped, the dead lived. 

The ascension is not that sudden though. Jesus spent a lot of time preparing his followers for that moment. The church was ready to witness, it would not be perfect but they would announce all they had learned, seen and heard. Although  the long talk Jesus has with his followers in John chapters 14 -16, known as the great discourse, occurs before Jesus death, resurrection and ascension, it is a central part of Jesus preparation for leaving. In that conversation, Jesus talks about the ways we would be connected and in relationship with God and with one other.  The way is love, the word is abide, and the metaphor is the vine and branches: There are promises in this message: God would abide, remain with, and endure with all those who love one another. That love would be how we see, know, experience and understand God’s presence. That love would be the public witness of the Easter resurrection, That love would be the way people recognized those who were followers, to quote the famous hymn we sang a few weeks ago, “They will know we are Christians by our Love”.   

Many people including the theologians of the ancient church, modern faith leaders like Martin Luther King Jr and C.S, Lewis and I’m sure many priests and pastors facing these readings today have all talked a lot about the different Greek words for love. (there were at least 3, Eros or romantic, pleasure seeking love, Philos or brotherly love and friendship,  and Agape or selfless, committed love used almost exclusively to describe God’s love for us).  This helps us understand that the love we are talking about is active and serving. It comes first, transcending time and place, transcending our needs, wealth, race, culture, education and all of those things that separate us from each other. The promise of God to abide with us and the fact that they will know we are Christians by our love is true in the chaos, class system and disproved ideas of the first century  through the knowledge, inequality, technology and science of today.  

I am going to share two stories of what this connection in love looks like and how strong it can be. One of the best examples of this connection happened in the end of the 1960’s when Buzz Aldrin, one of the first astronauts on the moon, took communion with him on the moon landing. Along with the small amount of personal things he was allowed to bring on the shuttle, he took bread and wine, the body and blood of Christ, consecrated by his pastor before the trip and prepared for space.  He took communion on the moon along with his church on earth.  Before taking communion, Buzz read John 15:5:  “I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me, and I in him, will bear much fruit; for you can do nothing without me”. What a profound example of our connection in love to the community of God’s people, even if we are on the moon. 

This week, I heard a report about a group called the Migrant Offshore Aid Station.  An American Millionaire from Louisiana and his wife have converted their large yatch into a resuce boat and formed a team to patrol the Mediterian Sea and rescue drowning migrants who got into trouble while trying to enter Europe illegally. Over the past few months, they have rescued over 3000 people from the waters.  The report mentioned the recent rescue of almost 400 Eterian Migrants from a part of Africa.  What stuck me about this is the observation that they had a shared faith with the founders of the group, they prayed together and “they were all Christians”.  Here is a story of a connection in love between a group of people, from a place I could never find on a map, doing an act some of us see as a crime and total strangers far from home simply because of faith and love for those in the most need.      
Both examples are not perfect, some people Aldrin’s actions as a violation of church and state and an exclusion of other people who did not share his faith (which is why it was not well publicized at the time). People today might say the rescue of migrants is encouraging crime and it may encourage more people to take the dangerous and illegal journey to Europe,  Love is not always neat and clean, love is a risk, it could jeopardize our power, privilege and stuff,  love will offend people, to love will be dangerous, challenging to our values, ideas and very way of life but those are things that Jesus asks us to do with the command “that you love one another as I have loved you” .      

No comments:

Post a Comment