Sunday, August 16, 2015

Sermon for August 16, 2015



The reading

John 6:51-58
I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever.”

The message
So after 3 weeks of reading these scripture verses from John 6 about Jesus identifying himself as the bread of life and then talking about something else (the youth gathering and pulpit exchange with Prince of Peace in Cambria Heights), I am actually going to talk about the gospel reading this week.
John’s Gospel, his telling of the story of Jesus life, death and resurrection for the forgiveness of our sins, is the last of the 4 Gospels and is rather different from Mark, Luke and Matthew. The first 3 are narratives, they are basically a timeline and story.  They describe the places Jesus went as well as the things that Jesus said and did.  John is organized based on 7 signs of power or miracles. Each act is followed by a discourse or long conversation Jesus has in which he explains the deeper significance of what happened, of what the sign reveals about God’s power and love for each of us.  In today’s reading, the sign of power is Jesus feeding of a great crowd with a few fish and a couple of loaves of bread and the discourse is about Jesus as the bread of life. 

After Jesus feeds the crowd, some of them figure out what happened and they follow Jesus to see more. They track him down and expect magic. I get the sense that they are telling Jesus “feeding all of those people was pretty good but show us the best you can do, and if it impresses us, we will believe you are from God and we will follow you”.   The crowd wants another sign, Instead Jesus tells them  “I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”  The people are taken back by this language and get uncomfortable (like many of us probably are). Since Jesus is right there in front of them, they do not have to figure out what he means, they just ask him “How can you give us your flesh to eat?”  Instead of backing down, saying It’s just a metaphor or figure of speech or explaining his choice of words, Jesus is even more aggressive and clear, he answers them by saying “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life”.  This is not what the crowd expected. They anticipated a great sign of power, something even more miraculous then feeding thousands of people with a little bread and fish. What they got instead was Jesus telling them the way to everlasting life.  In some ways this is like meeting your partner, the true love of your life, for a quick lunch at the local diner and they ask you to marry them, you expect a decent meal and you get a life changing, joyful moment.  

Unfortunately though, the way to eternal life involves eating Jesus’ flesh and drinking his blood.  In this case, the way does not seem easy, it seems downright nasty. This stuff about eating flesh and drinking blood sounded as creepy and bizarre then as it does now.  In fact, verses like these led some opponents and enemies of the early church to accuse them of being cannibals and performing rituals that involved human sacrifice or the drinking of human blood.  I mentioned this a few weeks, but it bears repeating, often when I read these verses, I think of blood sucking Vampires and brain eating Zombies.  This is not the most comfortable part of the bible for us to talk about (trust me, every 3 years when these bread of life readings come up for 4 or 5 weeks in a row, most pastors that follow this shared list of readings are complaining (the whining usually starts sometime in May and goes through September). Many pastors talk about the other bible texts from the Old Testament or Paul’s letters or doing a summer series about something else.     

Of course, when we are given only 6 or 7 discourses in John’s Gospel, its hard to just ignore one of them, especially since this one about the bread of life comes after the feeding of the crowd, one of only two miracles in all four Gospels (the other one is Jesus resurrection).  Plus when Jesus says you need to do this to inherit eternal life, we ought to pay attention. Before we have a blood drive and put Jesus steaks on the BBQ, we need to look a little deeper about what Jesus means.  I hate to say but this is one reading I have a hard time dealing with.  I am going to try and share how I understand all this talk of flesh and blood.    

(Late Saturday night I decided I did not think the end of my sermon was good or correct so I changed it on Sunday morning, I will try to write what I said here)

The first question we need to ask is “if the bread of life is talking about Holy Communion or something else?"  Scholars, priests and teachers in the Roman Catholic Church argue that John 6 is clearly a communion text.  Luther and many others from different Christian faith traditions have argued otherwise.  In John 6 Jesus uses the word for flesh, in all the references to communion Jesus uses the word for body.  There is no ritual or invitation to share in John 6 and the timing is off. This conversation about the bread of life happens at least a year before Jesus celebrates the first Communion with his disciples on the night in which he was betrayed.  Perhaps the biggest problem with thinking about this conversation about the bread of life as Holy Communion is that Jesus tells the crowd that to inherit eternal life, to be part of God’s promises and kingdom, they must eat his flesh and drink his blood. Now, as important as Holy Communion is to us, and as much as it is a time when we mysteriously encounter the presence of the Risen Christ, the act of receiving communion alone is not how we inherit eternal life. 

In some ways, it helps make sense of the bread of life by asking the question, “what is the way we inherit eternal life”. That is accomplished by God grace, God’s gift of faith, and through Jesus Death and resurrection for the forgiveness of our sins. That is the message of the God’s revelation to us, through the scriptures, though Jesus words and actions, and through our experiences.  That means whatever Jesus is talking about when he refers to eating his flesh and drinking his blood, must point to those things.  It must be a way of Jesus telling the crowd that to part of God’s kingdom they need be joined to him, to be one with him. There are many examples in John when people misunderstand Jesus by thinking he is talking about physical things when he is really talking about Spiritual things, for instance when Jesus tells Nicodemus “you must be born again”, Nicodemus asks “how can I enter my mother’s womb and be born a second time”. In that sense, by eating and drinking, Jesus may be simply reminding the people that to inherit eternal life, We must be connected to him.    

No comments:

Post a Comment