Sunday, May 29, 2016

Sermon for May 29



The reading
 
2 Corinthians 2:1-11
 So I made up my mind that I would not make another painful visit to you. For if I grieve you, who is left to make me glad but you whom I have grieved?  I wrote as I did, so that when I came I would not be distressed by those who should have made me rejoice. I had confidence in all of you, that you would all share my joy.  For I wrote you out of great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to grieve you but to let you know the depth of my love for you.  If anyone has caused grief, he has not so much grieved me as he has grieved all of you to some extent—not to put it too severely.  The punishment inflicted on him by the majority is sufficient. Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. I urge you, therefore, to reaffirm your love for him. Another reason I wrote you was to see if you would stand the test and be obedient in everything. Anyone you forgive, I also forgive. And what I have forgiven—if there was anything to forgive—I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake

The message
 (I changed some of this as I was preaching to clarify the point that Jesus invites us to see the world differently. I tried to update this manuscript accordingly)

I had 2 very strange days this week.  On Wednesday night I had volunteered to work at the tutoring center at the Pam Am Shelter on Queens Boulevard. The program started at 6:30 and Jen was off that day, so we went to an early dinner. As we entered the restaurant, I accidently dropped my eyeglasses and the frame broke in half.  At that time, I did what any normal person would do, I asked the waitress if she had some tape we could borrow.  All she had was some masking tape so I taped my glasses back together with that.   This repair lasted about 20 minutes and then they fell apart again. Without glasses my vision is really terrible. I went to the tutoring program anyway.  At tutoring, things were sort off, I had a hard time seeing the people around me and seeing the work (this was also my first night working with the Wednesday group, so they must have thought “wow the new guy is really weird”). After tutoring, I took a very slow, cautious walk home.   When I got home, I finally had the appropriate tools and equipment to repair my glasses. I got the duck tape from the draw and put them back together.  The break was in a really awkward spot so even duck tape didn’t really last long or fix it well.  Over the next few hours and on Thursday morning, I was hardly able to see. Even with the taped glasses, things looked really funny and were hard to make out.  Thursday afternoon, I went to the eye doctor (which I was long overdue for anyway) and ordered new glasses. They also taught me how to properly use duck tape to repair eyeglasses (You don’t, to help for the next few days they just moved the lenses to a loaner frame). Things were back to normal. After having glasses on virtually every day since first or second grade, it was strange to be without them.  For those hours, the world looked very different to me.  Even streets I had walked down 1000’s of times looked weird or strange.  Crossing streets, especially Queens boulevard, was more frightening than usual. I didn’t really feel quite right either. With the broken glasses, I always felt like something was wrong or off.     
There are the literal eyeglasses that many of us wear, lenses that help us use our sense of sight properly and help us experience the world around us.  There are also more figurative glasses many of us wear, lenses that filter and influence our relationships with each other and how we experience the world around us.  Some of these figurative lenses are very dangerous and sad. There are lenses like racism or other prejudices, which prevent us from seeing each other as children loved by the same God. There are lenses like justice or fairness, both of which are important to maintaining order in society but often abused to prevent forgiveness or create real change. There are lenses that allow us to see ourselves as great and our power as the ultimate. These things prevent us from acknowledging our sinful brokenness and from experiencing God’s grace (after all if we are too special to sin, how can we experience the joy of God’s forgiveness).   

In Paul’s communications with the church in Corinth, he is constantly challenging their lenses or  perceptions of the world. He is inviting people to see things differently, even uncomfortably. With faith and with the knowledge that Christ is Risen from the dead, the world should look very different.   Paul is inviting them to see the world as a place where God’s love covers all people, a world of real affliction and serious sin but also true consolation and complete forgiveness.  
Last week,  2 Corinthians began with Paul writing on affliction and consolation. This was an attempt to improve the relationship between the church and its founder. There Paul recounts the ways he has suffered during his ministry, not to brag but to show them endurance and the depth of his love for Christ, for the church and even for them (although he often has a tough love approach there). He does not want them to just see frustration, annoyance, dislike or hatred. .  He invites them to see the world through the lens of consolation, not the lens of suffering.  The people are called to draw their hope for something better from God’s promises of healing and ultimately the resurrection of the dead to eternal life

This week Paul goes on to talk about forgiveness. In particular Paul is advocating for the church to forgive an unspecified person who had led them away from Paul’s own teachings (it appears that after the letter of tears, the community turned on and inflicted some sort of punishment on the person who led them away from the faith). Paul writes “the punishment inflicted on him by the majority is sufficient. Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. I urge you, therefore, to reaffirm your love for him”.  Here, the lens we see the world with is often crime, punishment and protection. The normal, human thing is to not let stuff go, to not forgive and certainly not to forget. After all, leaving this guy in the community, leaves him the opportunity to go back to his old ways and sharing false teachings.  It’s not safe.  For Paul to not only forgive but also advocate for others to forgive someone who had seriously wronged him is an invitation to look beyond their previous disputes and look forward together to their shared experience of God’s joy.  Paul invites them to see the world in a dangerous and unsafe way, with forgiveness and trust in others you probably should not trust.   

Now forgiveness should be an easy topic for a pastor to talk about. After all most of us say the Lord’s prayer, “forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us” a lot. At every church service I say “I declare to you the entire forgiveness of all your sins” ( Not because I have some magic powers, but  because Jesus died and rose again).  Over the past few months, I have added an invitation to reflect on the times when we have failed to love God and neighbor as ourselves and I have added “with great joy: to “I declare to you the forgiveness of all your sins”. These changes are meant to help highlight the renewing joy we experience when we become aware that our real sins are really forgiven.  Forgiveness is also a central idea for a lot of work that psychologists and other mental health professionals do with people who are struggling to experience joy in their lives.  The idea is that forgiving lets you move on, restart your life and and it stops letting anger eat away at you. As it turns out, forgiveness is not that easy to talk about and do.. We must also see the world differently. Its not about being safe, it’s about being loving, its not about being fair, forgiveness is unfair. 

 Almost 500 years ago, Martin Luther shared these thoughts in a sermon:   There is no greater theme for a preacher than the grace of God and the forgiveness of sin, yet we are such wicked people, that, when we have once heard or read it, we think we know it, are immediately masters and doctors, keep looking for something greater, as though we had done everything, and thus we made new factions and division.  I think I have forgiven people. I have now been teaching and studying this subject with all diligence for many years (more than any one of those who imagine they know it all), in preaching, writing and reading, yet I cannot boast of having mastered it and am glad that I still remain a pupil with those who are just beginning to learn.

To forgive takes trust, faith, and seeing the world in a different way.  It means taking off those glasses we have worn for so long and seeing the world as of place of uncertainty but faith that God is in charge, a place of sin but also forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment