Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sermon for July 10th, 2016



The readings 
 
Job 3:1-10
 After this Job opened his mouth and cursed the day of his birth. Job said:  "Let the day perish in which I was born, and the night that said, "A man-child is conceived.'  Let that day be darkness! May God above not seek it, or light shine on it.  Let gloom and deep darkness claim it. Let clouds settle upon it; let the blackness of the day terrify it.  That night—let thick darkness seize it! let it not rejoice among the days of the year; let it not come into the number of the months.  Yes, let that night be barren; let no joyful cry be heard in it.  Let those curse it who curse the Sea, those who are skilled to rouse up Leviathan.  Let the stars of its dawn be dark; let it hope for light, but have none; may it not see the eyelids of the morning—  because it did not shut the doors of my mother's womb, and hide trouble from my eyes.

4:1-9;
Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered: "If one ventures a word with you, will you be offended? But who can keep from speaking?  See, you have instructed many; you have strengthened the weak hands.  Your words have supported those who were stumbling, and you have made firm the feeble knees. But now it has come to you, and you are impatient; it touches you, and you are dismayed.  Is not your fear of God your confidence, and the integrity of your ways your hope?  "Think now, who that was innocent ever perished? Or where were the upright cut off?  As I have seen, those who plow iniquity and sow trouble reap the same.  By the breath of God they perish, and by the blast of his anger they are consumed.

7:11-21
"Therefore I will not restrain my mouth; I will speak in the anguish of my spirit; I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.  Am I the Sea, or the Dragon, that you set a guard over me?  When I say, "My bed will comfort me, my couch will ease my complaint,'  then you scare me with dreams and terrify me with visions,  so that I would choose strangling and death rather than this body. I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are a breath.  What are human beings, that you make so much of them, that you set your mind on them, visit them every morning, test them every moment?  Will you not look away from me for a while, let me alone until I swallow my spittle?  If I sin, what do I do to you, you watcher of humanity? Why have you made me your target? Why have I become a burden to you?  Why do you not pardon my transgression and take away my iniquity? For now I shall lie in the earth; you will seek me, but I shall not be."

The message 
 
This is our second week with the book of Job.  I am going to start with the same introduction as last week. Everything we know about God does not come from the book of Job.  The history of God’s communication with the world is ultimately a story of love, care, forgiveness and grace, one fully told through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. When we hear God’s actions in Job that are uncomfortable or appear to be extremely unfair or cruel, we have to look again, understand the context, purpose and history of the story or even put those things aside and remember our God is the one who loves us, forgives us, invites us to live better lives and promises us eternal life.    

This week, we have three readings. In our first reading, from Job chapter 3, we hear Job give voice to his suffering and curse the day of his birth. This is Job response to having lost his family, riches and friends, a cry of deep despair, the asking what was I born for, why have lived at all just for this suffering.   Similar laments are found in the prophet Jeremiah (who has much less reason to complain than Job, but does so anyway).  After a time of imprisonment, suffering for his work and a general the world not listening to him, Jeremiah cries out

Cursed be the day I was born! May that day not be blessed when my mother gave birth to me.  Cursed be the man who made my father very glad when he brought him the news that a baby boy had been born to him!  May that man be like the cities that the Lord destroyed without showing any mercy.  All I experience is trouble and grief, and I spend my days in shame.

Our next reading comes from chapter 4 of Job. Here we hear from the first of  Job’s three friends who try to console, correct or help him.  Eliphaz the Temanite believes that the righteous do not perish or suffer. In his view, the world exists in a way where only the wicked suffer and it is in direct relation to how often and much they have sinned   This argument is, in part, rooted in what Eliphaz believes to have been a personal revelation he received through a dream.   Job’s other friends, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite, will speak later in the book.  All three of them never wavier from some version of the belief that God punishes and rewards based on sin (and  therefore Job must have done something awful)

Job responds to this first form of the “you must have sinned argument” by saying that even if Eliphaz was right, that God doles out reward and punishment based on our good deeds and sins, Job’s punishment was far beyond anything deserved or fair for whatever unknown sin he committed. 
After this Eliphaz encourages Job to be patient, to endure his suffering and trust that things will get better.  Job responds with our reading from chapter 7. Job reflects on the brief, temporary and short lives we have.  There is not enough time to stay quiet, not complain and not seek explanation and answers. Job talks about being treated like the Sea and dragon.  Those were seen as symbols of cosmic chaos, the stuff that God destroys completely and totally in order to create the world.  That sort of attack on a good person must be explained.  This was not time for patience. It was easy enough for someone like Eliphaz, outside and merely observing the oddity of Job’s suffering to say be patient, but doing so after what Job endured, was something else.

As we go through Job, we become more and more frustrated with Job’s friends.  As they find countless ways to suggest Job must have sinned and brought this suffering on himself, we know that is not the case.  From the middle of the first chapter, we know something that  Job and his friends do not. We know why Job suffered. Job suffered all this loss and pain because of this conversation between Satan and God, the debate over “if people would remain faithful to God without receiving rewards” At the end of the book, God confirms that sin and suffering are not dealt out in such a neat and orderly way. God informs Job that Eliphaz (and the others) are completely wrong, that reward and punishment are not dealt out according to our sins. (Interestingly, God never reveals why these things happened to Job)    

I want to look at 2 points, first, is how we talk to people in suffering with faith and the other is the hope and joy we have in Christ (we never need to worry about God  holding us accountable for the full weight of our sins).  In one way, Job’s friends are trying to console him. After all, since they believe Job’s punishment and suffering were caused by his sin, admittance, confession and repentance would be the only possible way to allelivate it. The quicker Job admits that sin, the quicker things will improve. In a much stronger way, they have made his suffering into an “I am right and you are wrong contest”. They keep telling Job he must have sinned. It stops becoming an attempt to comfort and turns into an “I can argue better than you, I know more or I have seen more than you”.  They have also placed human stuff at the center of faith and this need to be right overcomes their desire to help their friend. 

I wish this was something we could say was another oddity of Job but it happens all the time. On Wednesday, we had the Elmhurst clergy meeting.  One of the pastors there was talking about having problems with the parks department and police during outdoor public ministries.  As he talked about the problems he faced, everyone else started to tell him “can’t be”, “we set up there before”, “the police never bothered us”, “you must have done something wrong” and even a joking “maybe they just don’t like you”.  What he probably really wanted to hear was a simple, “that’s tough, you’ll figure it out or maybe we can help”.  What he got was a “we know how it works and you clearly don’t”.   One of the other people in the group said “wow this is like Job and the conversations with his friends” and then I said,  I’m doing a 6 week series on Job, im going to mention this”. As we walk with people in suffering, mourning or anxiety, we are reminded to not be like Eliphaz and Job’s friends.  It’s not a debate, it’s someone’s life. We are asked to listen, show we care and share the good news of God’s presence in suffering. We are set free to do this because Christ died and rose again.

(after the events of this week in Dallas, Baton Rogue and Minnesota, I added a few sentences during my sermon which ill try to repeat as best I can here).  I wanted to share some thoughts about a much more serious example of when we fail to see things from other people’s perspectives, when we insist on being right or winning instead of being compassionate, understanding or helpful.  We had the killing of 2 more people of color by police at times when hindsight shows us it shoudn’t have happened and we have the killing of 5 officers in Dallas and wounding of 7 more there, who all trusted a peaceful protest would be peaceful.  As we live and act like Jobs friends, as we combine an inability to understand the other, recognize our own bias,  faults and responsibilities and to not hear others with lots of guns, these debates over racism, poverty and public safety become death and communities in crisis.  When we act like Job’s friends, when we want to be right, not faithful, when we will not change our minds, or see and learn from other different perspectives, we become the cause of suffering.         

Finally, after two weeks, I have found some good news in Job. The joy of our faith is that Eliphaz and his friends are wrong, God does not hold our sins against us, because Christ lived, died and rose again the wages of sin are not death. One of the true joys in God’s gift of forgiveness is that when people say “God is punishing them” or “they are suffering for their sins”, we can say no Christ died so you don’t have to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment