Sunday, August 14, 2016

Sermon for August 14

Hey Everyone

Just an intro note about the sermon.  We have started a 4 week series on the Lord's Prayer (each week the reading will be Luke  11 Father, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come.   Give us each day our daily bread  And forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive everyone indebted to us  And do not bring us to the time of trial.) 

This Sunday, we did something a little different.  We had a skit / dialogue between a person praying the Lord's prayer (the Pray-er) and God.  This was not my idea or work.  It is based on a project from a group called Body-builders.  I made considerable changes to some of the lines (to reflect Martin Luther's understanding of the Lord's prayer in the Small Catechism).  I felt that the original version was too focused on works and what we do instead of pointing to the Lord's prayer as the place where we proclaim and encounter God's grace.  (so i changed it).   



Pray-er: “Our Father which art in heaven
God: Yes. this is God  
Pray-er: Don’t interrupt me. I’m praying.
God: But you called me.
Pray-er: Called you? I didn’t call you. I’m praying. “Our Father which art in heaven . .
God: There, you did it again.
Pray-er: Did what?
God: Called me. You said, “Our Father which art in heaven.” Here I am. What’s on your mind?
Pray-er: But I didn’t mean anything by it. I was, you know, just saying my prayers for the day. I always say the Lord’s Prayer. It makes me feel good, you know, kind of like finishing a task.
God: All right. Go on!
Pray-er: “Hallowed be thy name
God: Hold it! What do you mean by that?
Pray-er: By what?
God: By “Hallowed be thy name?”
Pray-er: It means … it means … honestly, I don’t really  know what it means! How should I know? It’s just part of the prayer Jesus taught us, its right isn't it.  By the way, what does it mean? what am I asking for
God: Well, Hallowed means honored, holy, wonderful.  You are asking for help to glorify my name and live out my word in the world.
Pray-er: Hey, that makes sense. I never thought what “hallowed” meant before. “Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.”
God: Okay, stop again, Do you really mean what you just said
Pray-er: Sure, why not?
God: You just said you want my kingdom to come to you and the world, that you want my will to be part of your life and community. I have to ask what are you doing to make it happen?
Pray-er: Doing about all that? Nothing, I guess. I just think it would be kind of neat if you got control of everything down here like you have up there.
God: Lets start small, Have I got control of you? Are you living out the grace you have received, has baptism, communion and faith changed the way you live and see the world?  Has my will overcome your own plans and desires?
Pray-er: Well, I go to church.
God: That isn’t what I asked you. What about all the times you have broken my commandments, all the things you have done and left undone, when you haven't cared for  your neighbor as yourself,  and then there’s the way you spend your money—all on yourself, a lot of that stuff is not my will.  .
Pray-er: Stop picking on me! I’m just as good as all those other people at church!
We all mess up sometimes.
God: Excuse me! I thought you were praying for my will to be done. My will is to strengthen  you and keep you steadfast in my grace, in my word and in faith until the end of your life.
Prar-er: wait a minute, aren't my sins forgiven because Christ died and rose again, this sounds like its all about what I do.
God: You finally asked a good question, your not so dumb after all.  Your sins are forgiven by grace, but my will is for you to not waste or ignore that gift, you have to live it, witness to it and share it. 
Pray-er: Look, Lord! I need to finish up here. This is taking a lot longer than it usually does. “Give us this day, our daily bread.”
God: Don't you have enough bread already?  You don't look hungry to me. You just asked for help to recognize what your daily bread is and to receive it with Thanksgiving. 
Pray-er: Hey, wait a minute! What is this, attack me day? Here I was, doing my religious duty, and all of a sudden you break in and remind me of all your laws and my problems keeping them. 
God:  The law is a dangerous thing, it exposes sins and drives you to my grace. when you pray. ou could wind up changed, you know. That’s what I’m trying to get across to you. You called me, and here I am. Stop depending on yourself and just trust me. Your almost done now just keep on praying. I’m interested in the next part of your prayer.
Pray-er: I dont really want to.
God: Why not?
Pray-er: I know you are going to go after me for saying and not doing this one.
God: Your right I will, you matters well get it out of the way, 
Pray-er: “Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.”
God: What about Joe?
Pray-er: I knew it! See, I knew you would bring that guy up! Why, Lord, he’s told lies about me, and cheated me out of some money, and is the biggest phoney around. He never paid back that debt he owes me. I’ve sworn to get even with him and then never associate with him again!
God: You ask me to forgive you but wont forgive others?.
Pray-er: Well yeah
God: at least you’re honest..  I have seen all the suffering sin causes, the separation from me, the anxiety, fear and violence and the obstacles it puts in our relationship. I want all that out of our world.    
Pray-er: I have a great relationship with you, It's Joe I'm mad at, I need to get even, that will make me feel better. 
God: But you have to remember I came down to you, Jesus died and rose for the forgiveness of your sins, you didn't do anything to earn that, you are set free from the power of sin and death because I love you, why are you letting sin control your life. About 2000 years ago my friend Paul asked a great question "why would those who are dead to sin continue to live in it"
Pray-er I never thought of it that way,
God: then you never thought of it the right way, Its not a trade, I do not forgive you if you forgive others. Jesus took care of you already. You forgive others to celebrate my grace, to remind yourself and all the people around you of what I have done, to be truly free from the power of sin.  Got it?
Pray-er: I think so, it seems so obvious when you explain it that way.
God: Okay, why don't you finish up, I got God stuff to go and do.
Pray-er: Oh, all right. “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”
God: I'm trying my best to do that, I do not want you to be led into false beliefs, suffering, despair or sin.
Pray-er: well that was an easy one
God: not really. Those things are always around though, always attacking you and trying to led you away from me and the story of my love revealed through Christ and scripture. You actually can really help me with this one.
Pray-er: What do you mean by that?
God:. I want you to be surrounded by my word and Spirit, be of part of a church, community and place where my love is proclaimed in words and celebrated with actions, where the sacraments are shared and people gather in my name. 
Pray-er: okay, can you recommend a place
God: well there's St Jacobus, a small Lutheran church in Woodside Queens, they do okay most of the time.  They worship on Sunday's at 10:00 am.
Pray-er, is that it?
God: well now that you mentioned it, even though you always prayed and went to church, you sounded pretty confused when we started talking.  Remember, there are so many people in the world who need guidance, care and to hear my word rightly shared. You can go and tell people what we just talked about.  Go ahead and finish your prayer!
Pray-er: “For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.”
God: Yes, Yes, you got it. It is going to come about just like this. You can go in peace, certain you are heard, forgiven, loved and cared for, don't you forget it!



No comments:

Post a Comment