Sunday, February 24, 2019

Sermpn for February 24


Matthew 14:13-33

13 Now when Jesus heard about (the death of John the Baptist), he withdrew from there in a boat to a deserted place by himself. But when the crowds heard it, they followed him on foot from the towns. 14 When he went ashore, he saw a great crowd; and he had compassion for them and cured their sick. 15 When it was evening, the disciples came to him and said, "This is a deserted place, and the hour is now late; send the crowds away so that they may go into the villages and buy food for themselves." 16 Jesus said to them, "They need not go away; you give them something to eat." 17 They replied, "We have nothing here but five loaves and two fish." 18 And he said, "Bring them here to me." 19 Then he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven, and blessed and broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. 20 And all ate and were filled; and they took up what was left over of the broken pieces, twelve baskets full. 21 And those who ate were about five thousand men, besides women and children. 22 Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. 23 And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24 but by this time the boat, battered by the waves, was far from the land, for the wind was against them. 

25 And early in the morning he came walking toward them on the sea. 26 But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them and said, "Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid." 28 Peter answered him, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water." 29 He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!" 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?" 32 When they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

 
The message

There is a chinese restaurant on Broadway called 5 loaves and 2 fish, I knew it was owned by Christians and suspected someone from the Fujianese church that meets here, (which it is).  What a great way to be known and recognized.    

Today’s reading starts with a very important event. Jesus has to withdraw from the crowd and go to a quiet, prayerful place after he hears the news about what happened to John the Baptist.   Jesus receives a report that John was dead, killed by King Herod after the king is tricked by his wife and stepdaughter.  John had been arrested because of the growing crowds and his preaching. In particular John was publically condemning King Herod and his family for a morally questionable marriage (Herod ends up breaking up his step brother’s marriage and marrying his step brother’s wife) .  Herod does not particularly want to hurt John, just shut him up. John is seen as a prophet and holy man by a great number of people.  Harming him would be extremely unpopular. Plus, it seems like Herod is at least intrigued by John’s teachings (expect the part condemning Herod’s marriage, he don’t like that).  
Herod hosts a great banquet where his step daughter does a dance.  Herod is so excited by her performance her promises her anything she wishes, up to half his kingdom. Instead of asking for a city, no school, or jewelry, her step mother puts the girl up to asking for the head of the John the Baptist.   Now, you would think a king could just say, that’s unexpected, I’m going to give you this shinny necklace and a luxury trip to Rome instead. 

We are told because of his guests, Herod must comply. Herod is forced to kill John the Baptist, a man he views as a prophet and a holy man with a very significant following.  Failing to keep his promise would be a sign of weakness and call his power into question.. Herod, the host and king is not that important.  He rules by the consent of Rome and because those with power in the region don’t make a fuss.  It was a tenuous position, if people complained, Rome was likely to just say “fine, get a different king, who cares anyway “, if other aspiring kings sensed weakness, they would try to take his throne. This banquet is a drama of power struggle, important people, political decisions, fighting and a carefully selected guest list.  Each guest asking “What can I get from being here”. Is it a way to sure up my power, get rid of john the baptist, a promotion, insight into an enemy, a gift, new connections and perceived status .These things are on everyone’s mind

Today’s reading is really a story of 2 meals.  It is Herod’s Banquet and Jesus feeding the crowds.  They are 2 very different meals. One is exclusive, a show and it leads to death, one is a meal for everyone that leads to life and proclaims the power and love of God. I can remember days when I ate two very different meals, having lunch with bishops, CEOs and professors, followed by dinner with homeless of Bristol, CT, having breakfast alone at Taco Bell and then dinner with a group of delegates from the UN, eating lunch with a group of familiar volunteers and then dinner with a group of unknown, wealthy donors, having breakfast at a bible study for the street homeless of NY and lunch with elected officials.  It should be all the same, id like to say its all the same, Like that’s the right answer, but it is not.  

I can remember having lunch at a soup kitchen where I volunteered regularly and then going to that same organization’s major fundraising event that evening.  Everyone was dressed differently, the staff, cooks and security guards that I would hang out with during a shift, talk to about what was going in their lives, how the program runs or just the news, were now in tuxedos and speaking another, way more formal and uncomfortable language, the station that used to serve cups of bulk coffee or juice in the cheapest way possible was now serving wine and champagne in crystal glasses.  I was now “sir ”  (with the occasional, oh it’s just pastor joe). The normal kitchen language of “get out of the way” or  “hurry up and get another tray of rice” was now “can I offer you a cocktail shrimp or this little pastry thing” (that looks way better than it tastes).   

A few years ago I was invited to the Mayor’s clergy breakfast. I didn’t know what to expect but didn’t really think I belonged there either.  As soon as I got the email, I wondered who put me on that list, as those of you here know, I am not the pastor of a large church. Then I started the ‘who am I going to sit with”,  I was hoping there would be assigned seats (I knew there wouldn’t  be, its too easy to piss too many people off, better to let us fend for ourselves), I spent the week before emailing and calling people, asking “did you get invited, are you going” no one was (I did get quite a few requests to tag along).  I got there and start the desperate search for someone I knew, a familiar face, a remotely familiar face, someone I might have meet once or is from the neighborhood. I got there early, to sit at a less full table and let everyone else look at me and decide if I was too important to sit with. I sat out of the way, in the back, near the door. I wanted to avoid anyone too important (which I assumed would be sitting up front in the important seats). As it turns out, most of the very important people often get important or emergency calls so they all sit in the back near the door where they can go and do important things without interfering with an event or being noticed.  

Herod’s banquet is filled with those questions and anxieties, what will my guests think, do I fit in here, who should I sit with, I better watch my table manners, I better use my big words, talk in sentences, use silverware,  it is uncomfortable. Jesus feeding of the crowds is different. It is one of the only miracles in all 4 of the Gospels (along with calming the storm and the resurrection). Come, as you are, and be loved, be fed, God is in charge of this meal and everyone eats.  There is no this seat is reserved there is no question of where will I say there is no rich or poor because there was no where to buy anything no restaurant to go to no Marketplace no special booth 4 VIPs no now this is a story that is in all four the gospels twice in one of them this is the kingdom of God all who are hungry come and eat

No comments:

Post a Comment