Monday, April 8, 2019

Sermon for April 7


The reading

Matthew 25:31-46

31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. 34 Then the king will say to those at his right hand, "Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.' 37 Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?' 40 And the king will answer them, "Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.' 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, "You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' 44 Then they also will answer, "Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?' 45 Then he will answer them, "Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

The reading

This week, we have our last reading before the start of Holy Week and Easter.  It is the end of one of Jesus’ major teaching sections in Matthew’s Gospel. There are 5 major teaching sections in Matthew.  Each teaching has 2 or 3 chapters dedicated to it. There is the sermon on the mount, where Jesus talks about what the kingdom of heaven is like and what living in the spirit of the law (vs the letter of the law) looks like. Then there is the teaching on missionary work and the sending out of the disciples to do that work (sharing the Good news of God’s love is not just talked about, its done). There is another section on the kingdom of heaven, then the power and life of the church and finally teachings on the end times, God’s  last judgment of humanity, the eternal separation between heaven and hell, saved or condemned, in the presence of God or outside of it.   

Next week we have Palm Sunday followed by Holy Week and Easter. We will gather to experience together the powerful and intense way that God saves us from sin and death.  We will exerience Jesus arrival in Jersualem as king, the quickly changing opinion of the world and Jesus instructions (including communion, to love and to serve). After this, there is Jesus betrayal by one of the disciples, his trial, death sentence, shameful execution, burial, an empty tomb, some female witnesses and the first whispers of his resurrection start to surface.  

Today’s reading forces us to ask who is included in the work of Easter,  how do you get into that flock of sheep, who exactly is saved from sin and death by Jesus death and resurrection, We also have the negative version of that question, how do you stay out of the goat pen, avoid hell. In church, over the centuries, there have been 3 main answers or a mix of all of them, 1: being saved is earned, the reward of good works, faithful living, or right confession (and a little help from Jesus), 2: justification by Grace through faith, salvation is the gift of God we cannot earn and 3: predestination, heaven or hell, our faith and behavior is determined before our lives begin.   These weeks on judgment make this a very serious question. 

Over the last 2 Sundays, we have heard 2 parables on the final judgment, on who gets into heaven or who goes to hell., First there was the man who is not properly dressed for a wedding and then we have the 10 bridesmaids, 5 of whom run out of oil while waiting for the late groom. The inappropriately dressed man is cast out of the wedding feast for the kings son, sent to the place where is weeping and gnashing of teeth.  The bridesmaids who run out of oil are locked out of the banquest and told “I do not know you” by the groom (and person in charge of the event). 

Each week, I wanted to focus what exactly they did that was so terrible,  I mean, I do not think too much about what I wear and in lots of churches “wearing your Sunday best” is not really a thing anymore.  I think all of us have been caught unprepared at least a few times, running out of gas on a long trip, not having enough food for some extra guests.   The man at the wedding banquet is guilty of failing to realize where he was, what gift he was given and responding appropriately. He also fails to trust the king’s mercy or forgiveness.  The 5 bridemaids abandon their only responsibility of welcoming the groom, instead choosing to go on a desperate search for oil in the middle of the night in an unfamiliar neighborhood. 

We skipped the parable of the talents which Jesus tells right before the separating of the sheep and goats. In the parable of the talents, we have a similar story.  3 servants are entrusted with good sums of money to use while the owner is away, 2 of them use the money, grow it and are rewarded. The third person just buries the money and returns it when the owner returns. He is punished for his decision. The last man given a talent is too afraid to lose it, so he does nothing, refusing to use this opportunity and gift.  These readings can make us uncomfortable.   

Today’s reading is even more difficult for us.  You cannot take the NYC subway for more than a few minutes before you fail to give the hungry food, the thirsty something to drink or welcome the stranger.   Even worse, we do not get naked people a lot. Clothing is incredibly cheap and available for free in lots of places. In Jesus time, that was not the case, clothing was very expensive, most people only owned a few pieces and they lasted for life.  I missed my chance a few years ago, I was walking in the winter down a street in Manhattan, I saw a man wearing a garbage bag and it didn’t seem like much else. Everyone on the street was bundled up. I thought, I need to do something, find him a coat, give away mine and buy a new one, call 911 (it was so cold, this was an emergency, not safe to be out there).  Someone beat me to it. A man and his friend in front of me stopped, someone pulled over with a blanket and got the man inside, a coat.  Does that mean, I missed my one chance.  To be a sheep I should prowl the streets in search of the naked, carry a ready to eat hamburger with me at all times, run the food pantry 3 times a month to get more points on that program.

This parable is not exactly about the actual acts, it is about our priorities, our understanding of our neighbors, God’s place in our lives.  Each group, the saved sheep and condemned goats both have no idea what they did or did not do.  When told the good news, the sheep ask “when did we do all those things for you, when given the bad news the goats ask “when did we not do all those things”. The sheep and the goats, the saved and the condemned were not trying to earn their way into heaven. The sheep were just living like everyone was a child of God, like everyone, the poor, the hungry, the naked, the lonely counted.  The goats were living for themselves and thought that was just fine.   

Matthew has focused a lot on the idea of righteousness, of living your faith, following the work and push of the Holy Spirit, of God changing us, moving us into the kingdom, reorientating us to a place where God rules, where Christ saves.  That is where this story calls us to live.
 
This reading (and the parables before it) are not meant to make us anxious about our salvation, On facebook this week I saw a post that quoted Paul’s letter  Remember“my grace is sufficient for you”  God’s great promises are still true, I’m with Jesus is still enough, I am baptized matters.  The reading does tell us something else too.  God is with us, in the world, in the least expected places. God does not value what we value.  God is not the owner of amazon, God is the person in warehouse stuffing that box with crap you don’t need but must have in 4 hours.  In the next few weeks, Jesus is going to be welcomed as a king into Jerusalem but he will also wash feet, be humiliated and mocked, have his identity questioned again and again, be denied by his closest followers and killed in the worst way. That all means something for us and how we live.  

No comments:

Post a Comment